Sunday, February 27, 2011

Mell and I "Petitie Elephant" Shopping

Mindi Me Barb Mom Mell

My Mother gave me the assignment to get a bridal shower gift for a cousin of mine. She lives in a part of Scottsdale that doesn't have anything close for her to shop, so because she thinks I'm a professional shopper I got the honor. Since Mindi has been pregnant she doesn't want to go anywhere other than the grocery store, the feed store, oh maybe Kohl's if she needs something. So I called my sister Mell and asked her if she wanted to take me to get the gift and hit a few other stores who were having good sales. So off we went shopping. My sister taught school for 32 years so she was too busy when our kids were young to go shopping but since she's been retired we have been able to do a few things together. It took us an hour to get the gift and then we went to the mall to see if we could find any bargains in "petite elephant" sizes. That's what we call Plus Size clothing. Thanks Spencer and Annie for the gift card. On the way home we talked about our lives and did some comparing. I have always felt regret that I didn't get a job after my kids were in school. I had my degree but never got to pursue a career because taking care of the house chores and my four kids was hard enough. My sister on the other hand was married to a school teacher so she needed to work to help support her family. This has left all the work on Rich who loves his job and serving in the church but he would have appreciated some help. I always felt that if I had a job I would be thin like my Mother. As we talked about our weight issues we concluded that it was either Mom's fault for feeding us delicious food, or it was genetic, or maybe a combination of both. Why can't we just be happy with who and what we are? Anyway, the shower was wonderful I got to see my favorite cousin Barb who I adore, and the food was awesome. Maybe it's just my lack of will power that I'm "thick" whatever it is I have only myself to blame.

No comments: