Sunday, February 13, 2011

You Have To Love Valentine's Day!


I hate Valentine's Day almost as much as my birthday. Even as a young child and teenager it was a holiday I was glad to see come to an end. Rich has always been good about getting me some flowers or a treat but the cards are so corny and gushy that there is no way I would embarrass myself by giving them. I usually just make my famous sugar cookies with the pink frosting and the candy hearts on them. With Rich dieting and my blood sugar climbing, I think I will pass on that tradition also. Today in church the talks all revolved around loving our families, spouses, children, even our pets, (not really I just included them.) I'm not very good at telling my family that I love them, but I try to show them by doing the laundry, dishes, ironing, cleaning and all those motherly and wifely duties. I admire those families when you hear them talking to a member of their family they say "love you" when their conversations are over. There again that isn't the way I was raised, I would have fallen over dead if one of my siblings told me they loved me. My Mom does tell me a lot how much she loves me and how "darling" I am, I appreciate that. If your own Mom doesn't love you, I would say you've got some serious problems. Last week at the cemetery celebrating Kamber's birthday I saw the most beautiful flower arrangement on a grave close by. I walked over to look at it and at first didn't realize what it meant. There was a large circle filled with white carnations. On one side of the circle was a collection of red roses in the shape of half of a heart. As I looked closer at the headstone I realized that these flowers were put on the grave of a husband who passed away last summer. This would be the first Valentine's Day the wife would be celebrating without her spouse. Some of my other family members came over to see what I was looking at and my Uncle commented that the flowers represented a "broken heart." I had to take a picture because I thought it was so pretty. Every time I go to the cemetery it reminds me how fragile life can be. We never know when it will be our time to go back to the spirit world where we came from. I need to get a better attitude about Valentine's Day, maybe I'll make those sugar cookies after all, then again maybe someone will make some for me!

No comments: