Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Glad To Be Home

I've spent the last six days taking the "slow boat to China," I mean Salt Lake City to attend the funeral of Rich's Mom, Beth. We left last week on Thurs, morning traveling to Las Vegas and then arriving in Salt Lake on Friday afternoon. Rich, Mindi, Candi, Spencer and Annie all flew, but I rode up with Ethan, Jenn and their children. Friday evening we got together with all the extended family at a Mexican restaurant where we ate and visited. After dinner we went to the church to continue the get together and Rich's sister Marybeth brought out all of her Mom's possessions for the kids and grand kids to pick from. Everyone got something of Grandma's and that was special. On Sat. we had a viewing before the funeral, then the funeral, the grave site and dinner back at the church. She looked beautiful, better than I had seen her in a long time. Having a debilitating illness seems to age you, I know that my hip surgery has taken a toll on the way I look and feel. On Sat. evening we all went back to Rich's sisters house, had dinner and visited with the family until late in the evening. It's always fun to see the grand-kids and great-grand kids and see them all grown up. Mindi and Candi flew back home after the funeral but Rich, Spencer and Annie stayed until Sunday morning when they flew home. That left us "slow boaters" to spend another night in Utah. We decided to go to Temple Square because Jenn had never been there. It was a spiritual feast for us as we walked the Temple grounds and then went over to the new Conference Center and took a short tour. We enjoyed the sweet feelings we felt as a family in a sacred place. After we were finished in downtown we promised the girls we would take them to the snow. So off we went up to the ski resort and found a place for them to play in the snow. That was a huge mistake because it was 29 degrees and they only lasted about 30 seconds before they were crying and in pain from the cold. Jenn was feeling like she was getting the flu so we went back to our hotel ate dinner and watched the Super Bowl. I don't think I have ever watched the game from a hotel room but we were so tired it was nice to just relax on the bed. We got up on Monday morning and headed back to Vegas, spent the night there and then came on home yesterday. It was so nice seeing all the extended family and I am so proud of all my children making the sacrifice to honor their grandmother. I know it will be a while before I will be taking another trip, but it was wonderful to spend some time with Ethan and his kids, they are "darling." Now the hard part starts, getting my house clean, laundry done and catching up on my sleep. Plus tomorrow is a big day because it is Kamber's birthday and we will be getting together again for that. I'm so thankful for my family and for the knowledge that we will be together again no matter what happens. Hopefully Kamber and Beth have been able to visit and they both know how much we miss and love them.

All of the grandsons were pallbearers.

Us and our four kids at the grave site.

Rich and his siblings and spouses.

Me at Temple Square.

On the roof of the conference center.

In front of the statue of Christ.

2 comments:

Lis said...

It was so great to see you and get a chance to visit a bit with you.
Elisebeth

The McNeil Family said...

That is such a sweet experience!! I lost one of my uncles on Monday and can't be there for his funeral tomorrow. But as I thought about Kamber today, I pray that he gets to meet her. He isn't a member but he loves kids, his grandkids are truly missing him right now. We are sure lucky to have the gospel and know that we can be with our love ones again