Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Mell's Knee Replacement and Angel Mother

I just got home from the hospital visiting my sister who had knee replacement surgery yesterday morning. My nephew's wife Victoria picked up Mom in Scottsdale, came by to get me and we went to see Mell. She looks better than I thought she would and seemed to be feeling okay, probably with help from the painkillers they have been giving her. We stayed for a while, helped her wash her face,  brush her teeth and when some other family came we left and went to lunch. The only time I'm sure Mom eats is when she is with one of us kids. I wish I never had an appetite and could starve myself, it would be way easier to fit into my clothes. Unfortunately, I got my Dad's genes of always being hungry and enjoying a good meal.  As I looked at my sister in her chair with her pale skin and glasses on she reminded me so much of my Dad.  When I mentioned it to Mom how much she resembles him, she agreed.  I really enjoyed listening to Conference this weekend. I took notes the first day and had two pages of things I wanted to remember. There were several talks that made me cry, especially Elder Holland's talking about mothers.  I don't think many moms feel they are doing everything right and I know the feeling of being "not good enough" has lived in my brain for many years. I do think most mothers really do try and do the best they can and that should be good enough. I know I was blessed with an angel mother and will forever be grateful for her. Almost every time I talk to her about my worries and trials she always says, "things will work out." Someday she will join Dad in Heaven and I will sure miss her encouraging words, so I will just enjoy everyday she stays here with us.

No comments: