Thursday, July 11, 2013

"The True Source Of Peace"

This week has been a stressful one so far. A friend had asked me to help her make a quilt for her little two year old grandson. It was fun to just sit and sew and visit with her, but when I went in the kitchen there was water all over the floor coming out of our ice maker. I put some towels down and hoped Rich could fix it that night. I woke up yesterday morning and the filter on my aquarium wasn't working, I don't know how long it had been broken. I tried everything I could to get it going again but finally had to go buy a new one. My friend called to ask if she could bring a load of clothes over and put in my washer because hers wasn't working. What the heck is going on? My sister just left, she had asked if I could help her today put together a quilt for one of her friends. I don't mind helping people, in fact it gives me some warm fuzzies, but as I look around at my house you can tell I've been helping others and not getting my own work done. So I took a deep breath and went in my room to read my scriptures and my book. When I opened it up, the paragraph I was on said, "Breaking The Stress Cycle." He explains that in the beginning of the stress cycle, the Spirit of the Lord prompts us to change the direction of our actions when we are moving in the wrong direction, such as when we let the temporal drive to "get things done" preclude time for thoughtful scripture reading and prayer--or when we let material possessions become too important or let our self-righteous pride direct us. Whatever our life circumstances, we can have less stress and more joy and peace when we follow promptings, stress will decrease, and faith--the ultimate stress reducer--will increase. It is possible to find peace in this stress-filled world if we turn to the true source of peace." That is what I am seeking today, more faith and less stress as I look towards the true source of peace.

No comments: