Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Pioneer Day Celebration?

Sometimes I think I'm cursed. Yesterday when I had no water coming out of my distiller, I went outside to see what was wrong. As I was checking it, I noticed there was water spraying out of our pool pump, it looked like we had irrigation. I turned the pool off and when I went in to throw my clothes in the dryer there was water all over my laundry room floor coming from under my washing machine. I called Rich to tell him about my trials and all he said was, "don't touch anything until I get home!" Sometimes he thinks he is so funny. Last night as I was taking a bath, I started thinking about today being Pioneer Day. It used to be a big deal when I was young but it seems like here in Arizona it has lost some of it's glory. I know in Utah and Northern Arizona they celebrate it but not here that much. Anyway, as I was thinking about all the little things that had gone wrong during the day, I thought of how hard it would have been to be a pioneer with none of the modern conveniences we have. I know I wouldn't have been able to walk thousands of miles across the plains, in terrible weather, with family members dying, to get out West for religious freedom. I know I take for granted all that my ancestors did for me. Maybe I should be having a party today with my grandchildren to make them understand the sacrifice that was made for all or us. Some of the kids have started school today and the others are doing volleyball camps, so maybe I will just celebrate by going to the 40% off sale at Dillard's. When I was over seeing Max for his birthday, Brookie was showing me all her new school clothes, shoes and backpack. She started Kindergarten today and was so excited. My mind went back to that dreadful day five years ago when Kamber passed away and Brookie was only three months old. I have to say she had a huge part in saving a lot of us from going completely crazy because she needed to be taken care of. She is special to me. So life moves on and another Pioneer Day will come and go and hopefully we can all be pioneers in our own way.

No comments: