Monday, February 18, 2013

"Taking Responsibility"






I'm glad last week is behind me because I spent most of it in a very dark place where I visit too frequently. It seems like stress makes some of my demons come to the surface and make me miserable. While reading my book I came across a quote that reminded me of myself. "When we blame someone else, we are not taking responsibility for ourselves." I spent all weekend attending sporting events of my grandchildren. I had two boys playing in a football tournament on Saturday and then Tristyn has been playing in the Arizona Festival Volleyball Tournament at the Cardinals stadium in Glendale. I decided yesterday that I would stay home today and try and get rid of the headache that's been brewing all week and hopefully get some things done around the house. My Mom called the other morning like she usually does to see how everything is going around here. My Dad seems to be doing better as he painted the back of their house and his appetite is slowly coming back. His cancer counts have gone down lower than they have been in a long time and it looks like our prayers are being answered at this time. It is so fun to go and listen to him laugh and smile and be himself, it wasn't fun seeing him sit like a zombie in a chair vegetating. My Mom told me a funny story about what happened a few nights ago. She went in to practice her piano. I don't know why at 83 she still takes piano lessons, but I admire her. She thought she would lie down on the couch for a quick rest and fell asleep. Before she knew it there were eight firemen and paramedics there in the house. My poor Dad had called 911 when he couldn't wake her up. He has often told me that he is afraid that someday she will just fall asleep and pass away. Anyway, we got a good laugh out of that. I asked her if they were "good looking" guys. She said, "they were all just darling, they looked a lot like Ethan," my oldest son. Hopefully this week will be better and I can stay out of the toilet and take responsibility for my own thoughts and actions.

No comments: