Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Beauty School or Veterinary?



Reagan
                                                                           Trulie
                                                                Tristyn and Tayler

Forty years ago when I graduated from high school I had big dreams.  I wanted to go to hair school and learn how to cut and style hair. I also thought about veterinary school because of my love for animals. My parents made it clear that they wanted all of us to get degrees from college and they would pay for it as long as we studied and did well. My parents were both teachers so they thought it would be a good career for me. So off I went spending six years going to three different universities before I graduated with a B of A in Education. There is nothing wrong with that, except while doing my student teaching at Arcadia High School I realized that teaching wasn't my thing. I hated trying to teach high school kids how to play sports. I loved the competition but hated the teaching part. I ended up getting married and having my own kids to work with at sports but it wasn't the same. I look at some of my friends who are still working and supporting themselves and I wish I would have followed my dream. On the weekends I usually go to one of my grand kids sporting events. This last Sat. we went to watch Tayler. She is a tall girl with the potential to be very good. I wish I was physically able to put all that education to good use but the rules of the sports have changed since the 70's anyway. Yesterday morning when I went out to feed my animals Spencer's yellow lab Trixie came running up panting and acting very strange. I knew she was close to her due date and was sure she was in labor. I made a little bed for her in the spare bathroom with towels and sheets and she started the puppy delivery business. By 11:30 a.m. she had her first puppy, it's magical to see an animal give birth, and especially a first time mom and the God given instincts they have. By the afternoon she had nine puppies that were hungry and whining. I thought I was going to have a breakdown at this point. At 3:30 in the afternoon her 10th puppy was born dead. I was so sad but was concentrating on the live ones. From 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. Trixie had contractions and tried and tried to delivery her eleventh puppy. I finally called the vet who is a friend and he came by to check on her. By the time he finally got here, she had delivered the puppy and it was dead also. What the heck, the puppies were all so perfect but the vet said they had been dead for awhile. Poor Trixie started up contracting again and pushed and pushed until around 10:00 p.m. when she delivered her 12th puppy and it was also dead. She had a dozen puppies, six boys and six girls, but only nine survived. When I went to bed last night I was so exhausted and my head was pounding. I realized that maybe the veterinary thing may not have been up my alley either. I was destined to be a mom, and an animal lover, and the pay just isn't that good for either of those.

No comments: