Thursday, February 7, 2013

Seven More Days

I feel like I'm running a marathon as I've been trying to get my house ready for a baby shower I'm hosting on Saturday. I wish I could be motivated all the time to just keep things up rather than killing myself for a certain occasion. Rich has been so busy with work and church that he's paying the price now too, as he's had painters here all week doing the front of the house where the Arizona sun has eaten the paint off. I told him that after the shower I'm taking a week off to relax and hopefully make a quilt. Yesterday was "senior citizen" day at the grocery stores and even JoAnn's, so I spent most of the day shopping. As we were leaving Fry's I told Mindi, "I never thought I would be parking in the handicapped spot buying groceries on senior discount day." She likes it because she is the coupon queen and loves saving money. On Tuesday night I had a feeling I needed to call my Dad and see how he was doing. When he answered the phone I could tell he wasn't doing well. My Mom continues to work at the Temple two nights a week, so he's there at home by himself. He's always been such a strong person, full of faith and an unwavering testimony. As we talked he became emotional as he voiced his feelings of being left at home sick, as my Mom continues to serve. It brought up some really strong emotions in me as I have spent many a night home alone as Rich has served in his church callings. I know that the chemotherapy has been really hard on him and it has changed who he is and how he feels. He is in the proverbial spot "between a rock and a hard place." Without the chemo he will surely die soon, but it makes him feel so terrible and sick, life really isn't worth living. We continue to pray that his life will be spared until Len and Julie get home from their mission and so far our prayers have been answered. Yesterday when we went in to the grocery store there was a big sign that said, "8 days until Valentines Day." I turned to Mindi and said, "there you go, we only have 8 more days until our favorite day. . .other than Mother's Day of course." That is a big joke with us. Anyway, while reading in my book by Elder Bednar, "Act in Doctrine" he quotes President Monson when he said, "Often we assume that the people around us must know how much we love them. But we should never assume; we should let them know . . .We will never regret the kind words spoken or the affection shown. Rather, our regrets will come if such things are omitted from our relationships with those who mean the most to us." I'm so bad at telling my family how much I love them, I MUST do better. I have 7 more days until that glorious holiday to tell them.

No comments: