Friday, January 13, 2012

"The Power of Adversity"

A couple of months ago I lost my favorite reading glasses. I was sure the last place I saw them was my bedroom, so yesterday I decided to go on a "search and rescue" to find them. I even dusted off our night stands and looked in drawers, under the bed and all over my make up table. I didn't find my glasses but I found a little book that was given to us called "The POWER of Adversity, Reflections To Empower Your Life." I opened up the book and the introduction said, "There is not a single condition of life that is entirely unnecessary." There is not one hour's experience but what is beneficial to all those who make it their study, and aim to improve upon the experience they gain." Brigham Young Then it went on to say that "the Lord allows us to suffer that we may come unto Him. He tailors our trials for our good. His personal plan for us was created to ensure our optimal happiness and peace." What! He lets us suffer so we can have happiness and peace. I have to admit that after suffering the unbearable grief of having a grand child drown and then going through trial after trial with my health, I wonder sometimes when the happiness and peace comes. I was told the other day by someone close to me that they think I've given up, that I don't want to live anymore. Some days it would be easier to pull the sheets up over my head and hope to not take another breath, but there is a part of me that needs to keep fighting and hopefully overcome some of my faults and lack of hope and faith. All I know is that I don't like to suffer but will do the Lord's will for me. The last page of this little book had a quote by James E. Faust which said, "In the pain, the agony, and the heroic endeavors of life, we pass through a refiner's fire, and the insignificant and the unimportant in our lives can melt away like dross and make our faith bright, intact, and strong." I'm hoping for that in my life.

No comments: