Saturday, September 11, 2010

I Hate Adversity!

Mom Dad and sister Mell

Mindi Me Barb Mom and Mell at the Corn Party

Last night is the first time I felt like I actually slept in a long time. I don't know if it was going to the Temple yesterday or the drugs I took when I got home. Anyway, I'm thankful for every moment that I don't have anxiety. If you haven't ever experienced anxiety or panic attacks consider yourself the luckiest person in the world.

This week has been full of all the last minute details that lead up to having surgery. I met with the hospital education dept. where they tell you everything that will be going on while you are in the hospital. I find that whenever I get told a whole lot of information about this dreaded event I don't sleep. I guess my brain in really small and when I get too much swirling around in there it is hard to process. I'm just hoping I can keep my sanity to get through three more days.

Little baby Abney was released from the hospital this week. They did a procedure so that Annie can give her the antibiotics she needs for a few more weeks. We feel so blessed that her life has been spared and can't wait to be able to hold her and look into her big blue eyes. Annie says she has a temper so that's a good thing. Better that she's pissed off than too sick to let your know how she's felling.

For the last twenty years my parents have planted a huge garden in Eagar that is where my Dad grew up. He has five acres of land with a little house that Rich and Lennie built for them a long time ago. They start planting in May and then after irrigating and getting the weeds out all summer it is time to harvest. The first week of September they drive the four hours and pick the corn, squash, carrots, beets, tomatoes and my favorite the pumpkins. They bring all that stuff home and then the ward members help them cook it all and they have what is called the "Corn Party." Last night was this wonderful event. It is like going back in time when you step back into the church where you grew up and you see all the people who you thought were old back in the 60's and 70's are even older now. My sister and I decided this week on the way home from the hospital that neither one of us will live as long as our parents. I guess the fact of being fat is a complication for almost ever ailment there is made us come to that conclusion.

I hate adversity! Sometimes we have this feeling that once we live through a trial we never wanted to, or thought we would have to, that we are safe for the rest of our lives. The older I get the more I realize that our whole lives are just experiences either good or bad, happy or sad, that change who we are. They knock off some of those rough edges we have like pride, selfishness, being judgemental, and just about everything that makes us the "natural man." I do know that when I'm facing a hard trial I am more earnest in my prayers, scripture reading, journal writing and all those things we are asked to do. I guess it is because through doing these things we realize just how much our Heavenly Father loves us and wants the best for us. We can only learn these things by having adversity in our lives. Did I say I hate adversity? I do like the way it makes me more humble and prayerful, but I could use a break with the anxiety.

No comments: