Monday, September 20, 2010

Get Out Of The Doldrums

I'm still trying to convince myself that I can do hard things. I know to some people having hip replacement surgery is easy compared to the trials others are enduring but this is my challenge now, so I can only talk about it.

One week ago I had a HELL day. I was so scared to have this surgery my parents came over and spent the day with me to keep me distracted. I think my Mom said something like, "your Dad and I are here to pull you out of the doldrums." I then called my sister and asked her if she could come spend the night with me just in case I might go crazy in the night and do something I would regret. I remember the nurse telling me to drink as much as poasible the day before so I would be hydrated, so I drank water and Gatorade up until the midnight cut off time. I think one of the worst things about any surgery is that you can't have anything to drink from midnight on. My mouth became so dry I could feel my lips starting to crack. They gave me a little water in the pre-op with some pills the doctor ordered but nothing else. I think I'm still thirsty.

I am doing so well considering it has only been one week, but I still can't get comfortable in any chair, couch or bed. I woke up at 12:15 a.m. and at 4:30 I was still awake. I'm not in pain just uncomfortable. Besides being thirsty and sleep deprived life is moving along. This morning the depression set in. I think that is common in people who have been through a major surgery with anesthesia. I have to use a walker to get around so that means someone has to help me get anything I need. Mindi has been so good to not complain about helping me. She has to stand outside the shower in case I might fall and then has to put stuff on my stiches and cover them with bandages. I am going to owe her big time.

One thing about becoming disabled is that you really know who cares about you and who doesn't. People in the ward have been so kind to bring meals in for our family. It tasted so good after eating hospital food for two days. I know it is hard dealing with a family member who is ill or injured but that is when you need compassion the most. My eyes have been opened at how I need to be improve on my charity when others are going through trials. I hope I can get through this and become more aware of those around me that are suffering. Right now I just want a good night's sleep.


One of my Battle Wounds. The scar and staples are a but too gross to show.

3 comments:

Monya Williams said...

you did it.... I am so proud of you.... I wanted to give you some space before I come over and invade your privacy... everyday will get easier I'm sure...♥

Debbie said...

I haven't been blogging for such a long time so I had not seen any of your posts about this surgery. I am glad it is over for you. Sounds like you are on your way to recovery. Yeah!! Glad it went well and hope you continue to heal and can soon sleep comfortably :)

Dena said...

You are in my prayers. I'm glad to hear you are up and about...even if it is slowly. One day at a time. I know you had to have been one brave lady to conquer your fears like you have. It shows that we can do hard things. Thinking of you!!