Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Pomegranate Harvest




The first week of November is considered pomegranate week. This is where we are obsessed with finding, picking and juicing pomegrates. I don't know how I came to be the keeper of the pomegranates, but I am. Mindi and I start a few weeks early by driving the streets of Gilbert leaving notes at people's houses that have a nice tree full of the fruit. Then we call my good friend Sandy Nichols and make sure that we are going to be able to come pick her two trees. Anyway, after several days of picking we take on the task of juicing them. This is a fun time ( yeah, really fun.) We juice them with a citrus juicer on a Bosch and then my Dad sqeezes all the juice out with a paint strainer. My sister Mell, my sister-in-law Julie and my Mom and Dad were there to help, Mindi had to do most of the heavy lifting because she is the youngest and strongest. My niece Aubry also came down and helped. By the end of the day we are wondering why we do this every year. My Aunt Tenna Heap was the one that got us started so we always think of her during this time. This year while I was going through all the stress of this process I kept thinking about the "Law of the Harvest." This Law simply means that you don't get something for nothing in life. I looked this up in the scriptures in Gal. 6:7 it says, "Be not deceived; God is not mocked; for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap." It made me reflect on my life and ask myself,"What am I sowing?" What will I reap?" These last few months as we have had "peaks and valleys" and tried to make sense of why Kamber was taken from us; I have tried to understand adversity better. I know that every person on this earth is here for the same purpose, to gain a body and be tested. I'm trying to be less judgmental and critical of those closest to me. I realize that I have a long way to go. "By their "fruits ye shall know them." (3 Nephi 14:20)

3 comments:

larsen family said...

I wish I could have been there with you guys. I to am trying to become a better person as I live this life with out Kamber physically here with our family. I do believe you get what you put in to life. So if I strive each day to be grateful for the time we had Kamber and learn from her, then maybe our lives can be righteous and joyful. Joy in the journey, right? :)
Love,
Jen

Alishia said...

I can't wait until my little ones are old enough that I can help with the pomegranate nightmare. My mom won't even let me help make the jelly this year. She's decided that it would be easier to do it herself than to have me and my two monsters help. : )

I don't know why your precious granddaughter was taken from you, but what a special angel you helped to create. Your hard work spent raising your son led to the birth of a beautiful girl who is waiting for you. Keep plugging along and "enduring" and you will be with her again before you know it. We love you and all you do for us!! Hang in ther!

Alishia said...

I forgot to tell you that the music on your blog always brings tears to my eyes!! I always think of Kamber as I listen to the songs you chose. They give me hope and help me feel the Spirit!! Thank you!