Monday, November 24, 2008

Gratitude for Adversity?


Yesterday, Rich was asked to speak in church on "gratitude for adversity." I think he did a great job and I hope it touched others like it touched me. Even though he gave a good talk and what he said was encouraging, I found myself having the same emotion, disbelief, anger, sadness and pain as I did the week of July25-August 1st and since. As we sat in the kitchen and talked about it and cried, I realized that this is an experience that is going to take years and maybe a lifetime to come to grips with. This isn't going away, it may get a little bit easier, but it will never go away. This is the first Thangsgiving without Kamber. Then comes Christmas, Valentines Day and so forth.... I have been trying to read the Conference talks everyday. The one I was reading this morning was by Elder Wirthlin; at the end of his he says "I know why there must be opposition in all things. Adversity, if handled correctly, can be a blessing in our lives. We can learn to love it." I hope some day I will learn to love it, but right now I can't.

1 comment:

larsen family said...

I love that picture of Kamber! She looks a lot like my dad in that picture. I wish you guys could have known him because then you could really see the resemblance. I am sad that we had to miss Rich's talk, I know he did a great job, he always does.