Friday, June 5, 2015

Rich Is Back, Elder Perry's Funeral

Rich got back from Italy late Wednesday night so I've been trying to get adjusted again to having him home. I don't ever sleep very well when he's gone, so it's been nice to relax and just go to bed. He came home last night at around seven and said, "I'm going to bed." I knew if he went to bed that early he would be up at three and I was right. We woke up this morning to thunder and rain which is rare. I can't ever remember when we got rain in June but it's nice to have a few cooler days before the real heat hits. I watched the funeral services for Elder L.Tom Perry this morning, who passed away last Saturday from thyroid cancer.  I had some emotional moments as they took the casket in the Tabernacle. It brought back lots of memories of Dad's funeral in January.  When Spencer was on his mission in Chile we went to Salt Lake City and did a tour of the new Conference Center. While we were waiting at the bottom of the escalator, Elder Perry came walking towards us. It was so fun to see him and he was to tall, handsome and so nice. Rich's sister took some pictures of us with him and I'm going to try and find them to remind me of him forever.  My Mom always asks me what I think Dad is doing right now. She wonders if he misses us and wishes he were still here.  Then reality sets in and she realizes just how sick he was the days he was in the hospital and how he was so anxious to get out of there. That's what is so interesting about life, we never know when it's going to be our last day on earth. At the funeral this morning they talked about what a happy positive person he was. He thought marriage and family were the most important thing we have and how much he loved his wife, children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.  He would always say that he had never had a bad day in his life. Wow, I wish I could have that positive outlook on life, it would make it so much easier to be happy, but that is something I struggle with everyday so I need to just be thankful for those moments that I have love and peace in my life, that's really all I want.

No comments: