Friday, September 13, 2013

Needing Some Rest and Relaxation (R&R)

 A week ago I was on my way to the mountains for a reunion. I just can't believe how fast the weeks are going by. Spencer is back in Florida practicing with the Buccaneers, while Annie has the kids in Denver hoping to not wash away with all the rain and flooding they are having in Colorado. It seems like there is always something going on in the world to cause concern. I remember sitting in the bathtub the other night kind of discouraged about life right now. You would think at the age of sixty, things would be winding down and we would have more leisure time and rest. Two nights this week Rich got home at around 8:00 p.m. and I find myself alone more now than ever. In order to stay in our house and live the lifestyle we have, he needs to work around sixty or more hours a week. I lost track of time a long time ago. He is teaching the eleven year old boys in Primary and so on Wednesdays he has scouts with them and tonight they are all coming over for a campout in our backyard. Mindi is feeding the missionaries and I'm trying to find somewhere to go for some R and R. I have been reading my book, "Enjoy Life's Journey" the chapters are on marriage. She talks about the differences between men and women, it is amazing that we ever can get along. Men are left brain thinkers which houses more logical, factual and aggressive centers of thought. Women are more right brained which houses feelings of tenderness, language skills, and relationship skills. Rich is a really good listener but sometimes our communication is a few words before we go to bed. She talks about how we need to be aware of at least three basic emotional needs. They are: (1) We each need to feel that we are truly number one in our partners, life, that our happiness and welfare come first. (2) In a marriage, each partner needs to feel the other person's strength. (3) Each partner needs to feel needed by the other. Our need is to know we are loved. Sometimes I feel it would have been better for all of us if I had just been an old maid school teacher, but then when I look at all I have learned from my trials of being married and having children I come to my senses. I'm really trying to enjoy life's journey but I still need some R and R sometimes.

No comments: