Thursday, June 13, 2013

"There's No Place Like Home"

Wow! I got home last night from spending a week in Huntington Beach, California. I felt like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz as we were pulling into Gilbert. There is NO place like home. I think Rich was glad to see me and I know the animals have wondered where I went. I've been busy this morning unpacking, doing laundry and I just went to the doctor to get my shot and weigh in. I only gained a few pounds which is good considering all the yummy food we ate during our travels. I am a "home body" and really don't like being out of my routine, but I'm so glad I went. The first day we were at the beach I felt such a strong belief in God. The ocean is powerful and so beautiful, but can be scary. Spencer took me out and tried to help me catch a wave on the boogie board. We were laughing so hard because the waves were beating me to death. A couple of times I didn't get a breath before being slammed again and I started to panic. I got a pedicure at a salon on the beach. It cost me a little bit more than I thought it would be, so I told Rich I was going to make this one last. We spent the day at Knott's Berry Farm and that was extremely hard for me. They got a wheelchair and I either sat in it, or pushed some of the grand kids in it. I was so tired by the end of the day I couldn't walk. There were 15,000 people at the park, 8,000 of those school kids on their end of year field trip. That is definitely off my Bucket List of places to never go back. I hate crowds and it was hot even for this Arizona girl. I got to go see the Newport Temple. It is in a very quiet secluded area and was cool and breezy, definitely glad I got to go there. Yesterday we were going to go back to the beach but it was cold and windy, so we just went to Long Beach and saw the Queen Mary ship before heading home across the desert. I am so proud of myself for conquering some of my fears and doing something for myself. I am grateful for all that I have been given and realize that everyday is a gift and am thankful for the  time I spent with my children and grandchildren in California.








2 comments:

Coplen's said...

This post brought tears to my eyes! I am so glad you had fun! I knew you would! :)

Judy (mom) said...

I have been waiting to hear how your trip was. Other than Knott's Berry Farm-I feel the same way....it sounds like a wonderful time. If you think the Newport Temple is beautiful you should go inside and see the beautiful painted wall murrow's...don't know how to spell that....they are amazing. Glad you enjoyed the trip and are home safe and sound!!!I am sure your family loved having you there with them.