Friday, June 14, 2013

"Consider the Blessings in our Lives"

I am still trying to get myself back in the swing of things and catch up on my sleep. When I woke up early this morning my mind started to wander and think of all the things I did and saw on my trip. I was lucky enough to go to Balboa Island several times. Once we walked the streets and bought treats and shopped. Another time we went with the kids and they rode some rides and played video games. On one of the last nights there, we drove up to the top where we could  look out over the ocean and watch the sun go down. The homes are amazing overlooking the bay and we could have spent all day just looking at the architecture and building of these spectacular homes. I would always think, "what does this person do to afford living in this house?" I try to never covet others prosperity or possessions, but I have to admit if I could live there, I probably would. At times while I was away from my family here, I felt guilty about being in the cool weather having fun on the beach and relaxing knowing that Rich was killing himself in the heat trying to work to provide for me, something I never want to take for granted. At times I think we don't express gratitude enough for those blessings we have been given, and maybe we feel a sense of entitlement. I think situations are put in our lives to see how we are going to overcome them and be faithful to the covenants we have made at Baptism. Life is hard, it never was suppose to be easy. I came across this quote by President Monson while I was a little bit homesick last week. He says, "I have found that rather than dwelling on the negative, if we will take a step back and consider the blessings in our lives, including seemingly small, sometimes overlooked blessings, we can find greater happiness." I know I need to be more grateful for all that I have been given.







No comments: