Wednesday, September 26, 2012

"Justified In Defending Our Friends"

I was brought up by very loving, but tough parents. My Dad is a Greer from the White Mountains and my Mom is a Turley from Mesa. Both families were pioneers who came across the plains for freedom of religion and hopefully a better life. When I was a child in school, I would always stick up for the kids who were being bullied or teased. My love for animals has caused me some real heartache as I have watched animals die from sickness or old age. This week I have been extremely upset for the treatment of my dear friend. I felt I had some friends who would show compassion on her and welcome her in the neighborhood. Instead, we were met with opposition and hate coming from lies that were spread from someone in my ward. Ouch! My aunt called yesterday from California to tell me about a hip brace she wants me to buy to see if it would help me with the pain. As I was telling her about my situation and after saying, "what an a%# he is, I got the lecture on not letting someone like him, who will be held accountable for his actions, affect your testimony." This morning I decided to look up "Friend" in the Bible Dictionary. I found the reference to a quote in D&C 134:11 which says, " We believe that men should appeal to the civil law for redress of all wrongs and grievances, where personal abuse is inflicted or the right of property or character infringed, where such laws exist as with as will protect the same; but we believe that all men are justified in defending themselves, their friends and their property." I don't know what the outcome will be, but I will continue to fight for a friend who I feel has been treated unfairly.

No comments: