Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Sadness Eveywhere

My sister called me last night to tell me about the tragic car accident that happened over the weekend in East Mesa. Two brothers 5 and 10, the families only children were killed. I talked to my friend yesterday whose jewelry store was robbed right before Christmas. Her husband tackled one of the robbers after being sprayed with bear pepper spray. He shot and killed one of them but was shot in the eye. They are hopeful that he will get his vision back. My daughter-in -law Jenn's high school friend recently had a baby that was stillborn with many birth defects. The husband of a friend of mine has been diagnosed with cancer. I had a doctor tell me many years ago, that if you buy a red car, you notice all the red cars on the street. So it goes with adversity. Once your family goes through a major life altering trial you start to notice everyone else who is going through trials. My heart aches for these families. I turned on the 5 o-clock news and they found a 4 year-old boy at the bottom of a pool. Does it seem like there are a lot more tragedies happening, or are we just more sensitive to them because of the loss of Kamber? Today on Oprah they had a show about becoming spiritual. They had a couple on who had their 20-year-old son, who was a twin killed in a motorcycle accident in New Zealand. He was a half hour away from his flight home. They talked about how much their life has changed in the nine years since his death. They say you never get over it, but you learn to accept it. I know there is a bigger picture than what I can see. Sometimes I wish I could see the big picture, or do I really want to? Life is an experience, we knew that when we chose to come to earth we would taste the sweet and the sour, the joy and the pain. As my sister and I talked about the tragedy in Mesa she said,"They say that if we all put our trials on dispplay so they could be examined we would leave choosing our own." I am so thankful for my trials, I feel like they were given to me for a reason, someday I hope I will understand that reason.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

I know where you're coming from. My sister, Darla, just had her fiance--I call him her husband, but they weren't married--yet, die of pancreatic cancer. He had just turned 50 and was the nicest guy. He was an optometrist and had a quick sense of humor. She is devastated and going through a hard time. They have been together 9 years. Since then I have been hearing about several people who have pancreatic cancer. When hard things happen, I guess we know the meaning of being sent here to be tested. I wonder if we had any idea of just how hard the tests would be. I am so sorry for your loss. Sounds like you all are doing what you need to do to keep going---understanding each other's grief and staying close. I am thinking about you and pray for your comfort----

Debbie said...

P.S.----About the size of the pictures on your side bar---I go to costumize and the to the edit html tab. In there you scroll down to where it says side bar and you can change the size. I just started messing around with it until I got it to the size I wanted it. Basically, it widens the area so your pictures are larger when you place them there. We need to plan a day and I will come help you. You can also widen your whole page, so then your journaling will have longer lines and you don't have to scroll down so much to read them. Let me know about a day----I would love to see you!

Alishia said...

You must have read my mind. I thought of your family as I heard of the car accident, as well. It could always be worse! Hang in there! We love you and think of you all the time.