Tuesday, March 22, 2016

"One Step Closer To Death"

This morning the chapter I was reading talked about death. We are all born and then we will all die. The point he was making today is that we never know when we will take our last breath. After Dad passed away so suddenly last year, I have often felt like if I would have known he was going to leave us, I would have spent all day everyday in the hospital caring for him and asking all kinds of questions. What would I do if I knew I only had a day to live? How would I treat those who are close around me? What experiences would I want to have before I died? I remember for years after Kamber passed away, I would ask God to let me hold her one last time and tell her I loved her. I think sometimes I'm so caught up in the everyday mundane things I have to do that I really don't enjoy the journey I'm on. The last paragraph said, "So, instead of getting lost in the normal mental chatter, why not contemplate the temporal nature of life? Why not think about something meaningful? Don't be afraid of death. Let it free you. Let it encourage you to experience life fully. But remember, it's not your life. You should be experiencing the life that's happening to you, not the one you wish was happening. Don't waste a moment of life trying to make other things happen; appreciate the moments you are given. Don't you understand that every minute you're a step closer to death? This is how to live your life. You live it as though you were on the verge of death, because you are." Wow! I've never thought of it like that, but that still doesn't mean I'm going to get in an airplane anytime soon, especially with what's going on in the world today. I'm not afraid to die but I don't want to be blown up in an airport, or a plane.

No comments: