Monday, February 8, 2016

The Untethered Soul

A few months ago a friend recommended a book for me to read. I was busy with the holidays and didn't feel like reading. These last three weeks have been really hard and I've found myself in a deep dark hole. This morning in my reading, I decided to open up this book, "The Untethered Soul," by Michael A. Singer.  It says, "Every day we bear a burden that we should not be bearing. We fear that we are not good enough or that we will fail. We experience insecurity, anxiety, and self-consciousness. We fear that people will turn on us, take advantage of us. or stop loving us. All of these things burden us tremendously. As we try to have open and loving relationships, and we try to succeed and express ourselves, there is an inner weight that we carry. This weight is the fear of experiencing pain, anguish, or sorrow. Every day we are either feeling it, or we are protecting ourselves from feeling it. It is such a core influence that we don't even realize how prevalent it is." The chapter then goes on to explain how we can try and untether our soul away from all the negative and damaging feelings and thoughts that we have daily. Basically having to let go of it, all which is so hard to do. I can read the scriptures, go to church and serve, but it's still really hard to forgive and get past all the crap that floats around in my mind. Yesterday we went and picked up Mom to come over for dinner and to watch the Super Bowl. I figured she needed to not be alone and I think she had fun. When we took her home I could tell she didn't want us to leave. It was late and we needed to get home. I know someday she will get tired and want to leave, but now she is holding on to her memories and doing the best she can.

No comments: