Thursday, December 6, 2012

Character, Relationships and Covenants

I'm still trying to get my house decorated for Christmas. I've been to Hobby Lobby three times so far this week and to JoAnn's and Michaels too. We almost have the front finished but I had to go pick up two more strings of lights before we can be up and running. We should be finished in time to take them down the day after Christmas. Last Sunday in one of the classes, we were studying the chapter Mormon in the scriptures. The teacher made a comment about something that was said by Elder Holland at her uncle's funeral. He said that there are only three things we take with us when we leave this earth. They are our character, our relationships, and our convenants. I have been thinking a lot about that all week. Where am I on the scale with those three things? There was one verse in Mormon 8:39 which says, "Why do ye adorn yourselves with that which hath no life, and yet suffer the hungry, and the needy, and the naked, and the sick and the afflicted to pass by you, and notice them not?" Am I going by everyday thinking about myself and building up things that have "no life?" Hopefully I can do better and be more aware of those around me who are sick, afflicted, needy and reach out to them, and stop worrying about my petty little problems.

No comments: