Thursday, October 7, 2010

Appreciate The Simple Things

There is nothing more humbling than going to an orthopedic surgeon's office for an appointment.
Yesterday was the big day for me. It was the day I was to get the staples taken out of my hip. I was a little bit anxious all day because my hip had hurt and ached and I was afraid that maybe something was wrong. I never seem to have the faith to know that "all is well," and that frustrates me. When I got there the waiting room was packed with patients. There was an older woman who was taken in by her husband in a wheelchair with a bandaged arm. As we held the door opened for them I looked down at her legs and they were covered with big purple sores. There were several others with obvious leg problems and I was just happy they took me back soon after getting there. They had me go in to get an x-ray to make sure the hip is healing right. After that I went in to the room to wait for the doctor. After just a few minutes he came in. The nurse had brought in the instrument to take out my staples so I was getting more excited by the minute. He finally came in and gave me a little explanation about how sometimes they have to leave some of the staples in. Anyone who knows me can guess what I said to him. It was something like "oh he&$ no." I don't care what they look like if they split open, bleed, or whatever they ALL have to come out now! He proceeded to take them out and it hurt like heck but I wasn't going to complain too much. On a couple of them it brought tears to my eyes and I would have said some bad words but my elderly parents were there for moral support and I didn't think they would appreciate it. After he got them all out he put band aids on my incision and told me to keep it dry and that hopefully I wouldn't be back for them to put the staples back in. I told him they will never know if they do split open, I will deal with it myself.
When the nurse came in I told her how hard this has been for me. I feel like I should be walking on my own without a walker. She explained to me that hip replacement is a HUGE surgery and that my body will heal as fast as it can and to not get discouraged. Our bodies are all different and I will get back to normal soon. It is interesting how you don't appreciate the simple things like being able to make my own bed, do my dishes, carry laundry into the laundry room, walk out to feed my animals. All those things that seemed so boring and monotonous are really blessings in our lives. Not being able to get your own food and carry it to the table is so hard.
I'm thankful that I'm three weeks down the road to recovery, I won't take my mundane life for granted anymore. Hopefully I will be able to serve those who need a helping hand and thank the Lord everyday for my boring uneventful life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

AMEN sister.... I remember blogging about this exact same thing after I had my mastectomy, I will never take for granted being able to blow dry my own hair (well when I had hair) or reach above my head for anything, or lay on my side....you are learning and growing from this experience, I have always loved you and always will. I pray for you everyday girl and I am so proud of you.