Tuesday, October 5, 2010

22 Hours and Counting

I have less than 24 hours before my 27 staples come out of my backside. I have tried everything I could to convince my doctor to take them out early but now I think I can cope with it until my appointment tomorrow. I am hoping that Mindi and I can go to Aloha Kitchen for lunch before my appointment to celebrate this wondrous occasion.
It has been cloudy and rainy for the last two days. It is a welcome relief from the scorching temperatures we have been having here in the desert. I love the smell of the desert after it rains, it smells so clean. I hope the rabbits, chickens and tortoises are okay, it really came down hard, I could barely see across the street.
These last few weeks I have basically gone from my bed to the bathroom, to the chair in my family room, down the long hall to sit on Mindi's chair at her house, (for a change of scenery), then back to my bed. I have missed out on Tristyn's first junior high volleyball game and also all of Trace, Trent and Major's football games so far. I am hoping that before their seasons are over I will be able to at least attend one of their games.
I have had lots of time to reflect while being "out of commission." I would have done anything to not have had to go through this surgery. If there was any way that my hip would have healed on its own I would have done it. I feel so very fortunate to live in this time where the technology has come along to help those like me who are faced with life in a wheelchair and pain or hopefully mobility and being pain free. That is my hope for the future. I have great compassion for those who have to use a walker or wheelchair to get around. It takes up so much energy pushing those things around. Not to mention the sore arms and hands. Going through this experience has also opened up my eyes to the goodness of people. I know there are people who are lonely and housebound like I am who need a visit, a kind act of service, a helping hand. My parents have been over several times a week to help me do laundry and dishes, my Dad would go out and water my plants. He would also make sure I was doing my rehab exercises and would hold my hand as we walked up and down my house to practice walking while using my cane. My Mom who is soon to be 81 stood and ironed all of Rich's shirts yesterday. I know she doesn't feel that well but her life has been an example of service to all of her family. Mindi has been an angel. I will never be able to repay her for all she has done for me. She is such a good example of charity, there aren't many daughters who would do what she has done for me. I know it has been extremely hard taking care of her own family plus adding all my needs to her busy schedule, I hope she knows how much I appreciate her. Hopefully after my recovery I will be able to render service when needed to those who are going through their own trials. That is my prayer.

1 comment:

MaryBeth said...

Good to hear you are so close to getting the staples out. Things are looking up. Thanks for sharing Rich with us this weekend! We are looking forward to having you come next year.