Thursday, April 1, 2010

Has It Really Been 40 Years?


I got a call from a friend from the past a couple of weeks ago that I haven't seen for at least six years, and even then it was just coming out of a restaurant. She wanted to make sure I knew about our 40 year high school reunion and that she wanted me to come. WOW! How can it be possible that I graduated from high school 40 years ago? Actually, it hasn't been that long I graduated from Coronado High School the class of 1971. The reunion is for the years 1969-1971. My older sister was a graduate of '69 so she and I are going together, it should make it a little less scary and at least I will recognize one person. So yesterday Mindi and I went shopping trying to find just the right outfit or should I say "get up" to wear to this glorious event. I was telling her how I needed to find something that makes me look skinny and hide the many pounds I have put on since I was 18 years old. When I looked over at her reaction it was a "how in the hell are we going to pull that one off" kind of look on her face. It has been weird thinking about going to see people from your childhood and wondering what they look like now. How has life treated them? What kinds of trials and adversities have they had to go through? As I was talking to Denise on the phone, I told her my insecurities about seeing my classmates. She said that she knew there are people coming in wheel chairs and all other kinds of problems, so I guess I will fit right in. I remember going to my ten year and how it was just awkward with the alcohol and everyone trying to show off cleavage. I think this will be different. I hope after 40 years we have matured enough to just enjoy the evening and be glad we are all still alive. I hate these social events because it brings out all my anxieties, but since I have been through one of the hardest things in life you can go through, I should be able to a handle an evening will some harmless senior citizens at the zoo. Does it really matter what I look like now anyway?

2 comments:

larsen family said...

What a hottie! I've heard you talk about boyfriends in the past, I'm sure you had many lined up because of you good looks and fun personality. Sounds like it will be a fun time. Try to leave your stresses behind and enjoy yourself. :) See you soon.
Jen

Judy (mom) said...

Hey Teri, I am glad you will be coming to the reunion. I am still laughing about your "skinny outfit". You are still the same funny Teri that we all loved. Dink & Cinda are coming down from Utah....I think it is going to be fun!!!