Monday, April 26, 2010

Mondays, Not My Favorite!

I am not a big fan of Mondays. I often feel like I need a day to rest from Sunday "the day of rest." Anyway, I knew today was going to be busy, so I got up early and did my usual chores and got in the shower and ready for the day. My visiting teachers were coming at 9:00 a.m. so I was pretty proud of myself when they came and I wasn't still in my nightgown. Before Rich left for work he came in and told me that Dave, my son-in-law had found my cat "Patches" dead over by the side of their house. I guess she had been in a fight with something during the night and been mauled pretty bad. Rich was emotional when he told me even though he isn't a big fan of cats. Dave dug a hole under our lemon tree and Rich buried her for me. After my visiting teachers left I went with Mindi to the Doctors for a sonogram. She had seen him last week and he wanted to get a peek at the baby to make sure everything was okay. Mindi hadn't really wanted to tell anyone she was pregnant because she hasn't really felt sick like she did with the other pregnancies and that made me concerned also. I had told her of my experience of having a miscarriage after telling the doctor that I didn't feel normal. Anyway, we did tell a few family members and she told some of her friends that she was expecting in November. During her exam we knew something was wrong. I have gone with a couple of my girls to see their first sonograms and we could always see a heartbeat. This time there was no heartbeat. The girl was so nice and left to go get the doctor, something about "I will let Dr. Huish see these pictures and see if he wants you to get some blood work or something." It must be hard for these people when they know someone is really going to be upset. I decided to take Troy out to the car because he was getting restless and I thought she needed to talk to the doctor without me there. When Mindi came out she was crying and we both had a mini breakdown. We understand that it is for the best, something just wasn't quite right but it is still very sad. It has been exactly twenty-four years since my miscarriage. I was thirty-three years old. Mindi is thirty three also. I was eleven weeks pregnant and my baby stopped growing at 9 weeks. Mindi is 9 weeks and her baby stopped growing at 6 weeks. She has been blessed with four darling children. It would be selfish to not be so grateful that she has been given the opportunity to bring four healthy children into the world. I regret that I never had my last baby. I was not in a mental condition to bring another child into our family. I think Mindi will have the courage to try again. She is one of the strongest and kindest people I know. As we pulled into the neighborhood we stopped to tell her good friend the sad news. As we were talking I said, "we have to go through these trials so we can have empathy for others, if our lives were all rainbows and butterflies, what would we learn?" Her friend then said, "without these experiences we would never progress. We would never have charity." Life will go on, and I'm pretty sure that the sun will come up again tomorrow, at least I hope so.

1 comment:

The McNeil Family said...

I am so sad to hear this.I know how it feels to lose a baby. I had a miscarriage when jen was pregnant with Kamber, it was a very hard thing for me to deal with. My thoughts and prayers are with Mindi