Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Words I Hate To Hear

I have been putting the finishing touches on my third memorial quilt and hope to mail it next week. There is a special spirit I feel when working on a quilt to honor someone who has been tragically taken from their family. As I was resting this afternoon and watching the news, they reported that there had been two more drownings or near drownings today. I get so tired of hearing "watch your kids around water" that I think I'm going to scream. Then when I hear about another child lost, it puts me in such a bad place. Because we have "been there and done that" it makes it even that much more painful. We know how these families are feeling. We know the despair and sadness that comes with these accidents. We know what it is like to hear it on the news. We know the heartache of planning a funeral and the toll it takes financially, emotionally and spiritually. We know that these families are in for a long road of grief before it will get even a little bit better. When we were building our pool my Dad was so worried that someone would end up drowning he would call all the time so worried. I assured him that we would have a fence and we would do everything in our power to not let anything happen. That is really all you can do, and so far we have been lucky. But what about the trampoline, the motorcycle, the skateboard and the BB guns? Mindi's kids have been so good to not go in the pool area without an adult. There has been an occasional time, usually at the beginning of the summer when they are so excited to see if the pool is getting warm enough to swim, I have caught them where they shouldn't be. All in all though they understand the danger of letting the little ones in that can't swim. The summer is just starting and hopefully no more families will have to experience what we have. I guess all we can do is pray for the safety of our children and grandchildren all the time. This week in Relief Society our lesson was on the Holy Ghost and Prayer. I know there have been several times that I have heard a voice warn me of danger. I also know that I have received inspiration after praying. After Kamber passed away these gifts have become way more important to me and I don't take them for granted anymore. I know that my Heavenly Father loves his children and wants us to be happy. The trials are all part of his plan to help us return to him, this I believe.

No comments: