Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Naughty or Nice?


Last Sunday in Primary the President stood and told the children that Santa is watching them all the time and he knows if they are "naughty or nice." It kind of struck a cord with me because recently I was told that I'm not a nice person. I know I'm not the eternal optimist who always sees the good in every situation; or am so sweet that honey drips from my mouth when I talk, but all in all I try to be a nice person. This really hurt my feelings and for a few days I felt really angry by this comment. I have looked back on my life and tried to think of things that would have made this person think I have "a mean side to me." Anyway, after lots of soul searching, I realize that there are times that I hold a grudge, withhold forgiveness, and use the "silent treatment" to punish those around me. I also have noticed that all these character flaws have gotten worse since Kamber's passing. I also like to blame it on having the "second child syndrome," which is a problem when you are born to parents with a perfect oldest child and the "golden child" after you. Anyways, I'm all about blaming my parents and my childhood, but I guess at 55 I need to start taking responsibility for my behavior. I'm still plugging through the Conference Talks and this morning as I read Elder Corbridge, he says "Life is hard, but life is simple. Get on the path and never, ever give up. You never give up. You just keep on going. You don't quit, and you will make it." At times I do want to give up, dig a hole and crawl in it, but I guess I need to just keep on trying to work on being a nicer person.

5 comments:

Alishia said...

Not nice?? Not nice!! If it makes you feel any better, I think you're nice. You do so much for everyone else! Hang in there and stay out of any holes, laying in them won't get you any closer to your little angel, Kamber. She's waiting for you at the finish line. You can do it!!

The McNeil Family said...

I think that you are a nice person, sometimes we just have rough days. We are not perfect, just as along as we try to do better each day the lord will help us overcome our down falls. You are a wonderful lady pick your head up.

Larsens said...

teri, you ought to be proud of yourself! if someone told me i wasnt very nice, i would have to give them a real good reason as to why they thought that! valerie is right, we have rough days and so much stress in our lives that it can be even more stressful to try and keep a smile on our faces. and i LOVE what alisha said, Kamber is rootin us on and is waiting for us... lets not give up! we'll get there before we know it!!

Melissa said...

Since when is being out spoken, sticking up for yourself, or being blunt make you a mean person?
Teri, don't let some person who is passing judgment on you get you down...I think you are a great person! It is their problem if they let the things you say offend them, NOT YOUR PROBLEM. Repeat after me NMP! (Not my problem)
My heart reaches out to you and your whole family; I hope you will eventutally find some peace. Many prayers and love sent your way!

Stephanie Abney said...

Teri ~ Welcome to bloggerland. I had no idea you started one. I found it by reading one of your kids' blogs... yes, at 2:30 in the morning... NO TIME anymore. I LOVE YOUR BLOG!! Especially the name ~ cute.

Listen up, girlfriend, you are one of my favorite relatives, who wouldn't hurt a flea. We all have rough edges and as you know only too well, life has a way of knocking some of them off us. You are as real as they come, Teri. It's one of the things I so love about you and YOU HAVE THE SOFTEST HEART... and it's hurting bigtime.

Anyway, welcome ~ you might enjoy the blog I wrote last month about BJ's flowers ~ how they keep blooming even 8 years after his passing. Sorry this is such a long comment and I don't know how to make URL's short so here is the link:
http://stephaniesaysso.blogspot.com/2008/11/eight-years-and-still-growing.html

LOVE YOU LOTS!!!!!! ~ Stephanie