Friday, July 25, 2014

Six Years of Surviving

This morning I woke up and am having a normal day. The usual things to do and then off to the grocery store before the heat is so bad I pray to die. Anyway, when I got home I remembered what a hard day this is. Six years ago today I started my own personal journey to hell and back. I've worked really hard through counseling, prayer and study, to help myself go on to live a productive life. I've worked through the five stages of grief, 1) Denial or Isolation, 2) Anger, 3) Bargaining, 4) Depression, and finally 5) Acceptance. After six years it is so important to accept the drowning death of sweet Kamber as something that happened. That's the reality of it. I remember the still small voice say, "why not you?" as I asked why I would have to go through something so hard. I've learned a lot about myself and my family. I found out that we can be survivors. As I've been reading my new favorite book, he talks about the 3 Rules of the Survivors Club, 1) Everyone is a Survivor, 2) It's not all Relative, and 3) You're stronger that your Know.  He says, "We all at times, face hopelessness and despair. We all experience grief, abandonment, and crushing loss. And all of us sooner or later will face the inevitable nearness of death." Six years ago as we experienced the sudden death of a grandchild I remember thinking, "how can I ever go on?" Well, I've made it six long years and even though there are times the sadness is still there, I am more thankful now that my faith is strong and I KNOW I will see her again. I know she is happy and I hope she will help her mother as Jenn brings these twins into the world. I miss her, love her, and hope she is aware of that. Our family are survivors and I'm so proud of that!

No comments: