Thursday, May 9, 2013

"Making It Through When Life Happens"

This past couple of weeks have been hard. I have felt all kinds of different emotions as I've had a sick husband, a trip to the mountains and spending some time in the hospital hoping he would make it through surgery and be out of pain. He came home on Monday and on Tuesday was back to work. He always is over committed with clients and usually with church. Thank heavens he was released from his church job and now can concentrate on getting his jobs finished and hopefully some things done around our house. As I have spent most of this week in the toilet I have wondered, what is bothering me? I have a few clues like Mother's Day, my 60th birthday getting closer and closer, my lack of energy to achieve all that I want to, and just worrying about the future. As I picked up my book to read this morning the chapter said, "Making It Through When Life Happens." I went on to read about stress and how it can affect our lives.  She says, "stress is an emotional response to a real or imagined fear. Events themselves aren't stressful. It's how we perceive them that affects us." Here we go again, is the glass half full or half empty? I wouldn't change my life for anyone else. I wouldn't even change my children or grandchildren for anyone different. I am thankful to be a mother, my kids have taught me so much about life and about myself. I know I can do hard things because I lived through teenagers and didn't give up then. I still hear my Mom say, "Teri, Heavenly Father wouldn't have given you so and so if he didn't think you could handle this, so cheer up." This week I have told myself several times, "I just don't care anymore." When I told that to my son Ethan he said, "don't lie, you really do care, you are just upset." Then when I was talking to Spencer he said, "Mom I wouldn't change any of our problems with those who I see who really have it bad." So I guess I need to keep letting my kids teach me what I need to learn and be thankful that I am a mother and I lived to be the ripe old age of sixty. Wow, that's going to be hard.

No comments: