Monday, January 25, 2010

My Brother the Mission President

I was going through some boxes of stuff to find a picture of my brother Lennie and I as kids. I ended up taking a stroll back in time. As I was going through my unorganized mess of junk I found pictures and drawings, report cards and letters from Rich on his mission, wedding announcements and funeral programs. As I looked at all these mementos I thought, "where has all the time gone?" Yesterday was an emotional day for me. On New Years Day my brother Len asked my siblings and parents to come to his house. While there, he informed us that he has been called to be a Mission President and Julie as a full time missionary. I have always known that they would serve a mission together, but I wasn't prepared for this time, I thought mission presidents were old guys. "Oh I forgot that we are considered old now." Anyway, I am so happy for them, I know they will do a great job. I have gone through the gamet of emotions for the last three weeks because they asked us not to tell anyone until they decided the timing was right. Now that the "cat is out of the bag" it almost feels surreal. My parents are in their 80's and who knows what will happen during the next three years, but whatever does, we will have to go it alone without him. We will have babies born, maybe some weddings, hopefully no deaths, but by sad experience we know anything can happen. Who knows what else might come to pass, but we will be happy that they are serving the Lord. I wish I had the faith to leave my home, family and comforts of home to go out into the mission field. We will support them from afar, They don't know yet where they will be so hopefully it will be close.

At my Dad's 80th birthday.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Not surprised at all!! Tell them I said so.

Debbie said...

And, by the way, that picture of you looks E.X.A.C.T.L.Y like Candy!