Thursday, January 28, 2010

Memory Quilt fo Dad

A couple of weeks ago after I realized that my brother Lennie wouldn't be here for three years I decided that we should make a memory quilt for my Dad's 81st birthday tomorrow. I had just finished one for my dear friend in the ward with breast cancer and it turned out so cute that I thought it would be fun to make another one. WOW! what a project, what the he*# was I thinking? I found some material about golfing because that is his passion, and then cut the squares and got them to my extended family. I have three siblings and with us four kids we have seventeen grandchildren and twenty nine great- grandchildren with four on the way. I started receiving the squares a week ago and have been working on this project every day, almost all day since then. With the help of a friend in the ward I was able to just about finish the top last night. The Relief Society Pres. asked if I could come help serve at the Young Women's "New Beginnings" dinner and program. I said "yes" but then realized that I was in a time crunch with my quilt. We had just had a lesson in R.S. on Sunday about the difference between obedience, sacrifice and consecration. I thought that if I went and did what was asked and did a little service, maybe my quilt would come together a little easier. I spent two hours at the church helping plate up the food and we had a fun time working in the kitchen with some of the choice sisters in my ward. My friend Sharon brought me home and with Rich's help we started piecing the rows of quilt squares together and finishing the center. When I went to bed at 11:30 I was pleased with my progress and all I had to do was sew the three rows together and then I could start tying it. I was still a little groggy this morning but I was anxious to get started and went on and pinned my first two rows together, sewed them and when I went to iron them I realized I had sewn them upside down. I was so discouraged I just about started to cry when Mindi said, "let me go get my camera and take a picture so you can blog about it. "Oh yeah! I look so cute at 8:00 a.m. after I had just screwed up my quilt, take a darling picture of me!" Anyway, I finally finished sewing it together and putting the final touches on the boarder, I'm waiting for my sister Mell to come and help me finish tying it and then my friend Sharon is going to help me put the binding on it. I don't think I will be volunteering for a quilt anytime soon. This has truly been a labor of love and I love the way it has turned out but I am just flat worn out. Mindi just suggested we do one for Grandma for Mother's Day. I will have to think about that one for a while.

2 comments:

Lis said...

What a wonderful gift! YOu are very talented.

The McNeil Family said...

WOW.. what a amazing quilt. You are a talented lady. Your dad will love it