Friday, November 11, 2011

Veteran's Day 2011

Rich left this morning at 5 a.m. to go to Camp Lo Mia for stake youth conference. I hope he stays warm up in the mountains because he hates the cold. He has left us here to do irrigation and "hold the fort down", whatever that means. After he left I did three loads of laundry and made four batches of pomegranate jelly. I will be so glad when the juice is either frozen or given away. I love the smell of my house when I'm cooking with pomegranates, it reminds me of my Mom and special aunt who started the tradition of giving the bright red jelly to friends and neighbors for Christmas. It does make me really tired and my back starts to hurt, I need a nap. Yesterday I went to see my surgeon about the pain that continues to bother me in my hip. He is going to run some tests on my blood to see if maybe I'm allergic to the metal in the prosthesis and then we can make some decisions about what my options are. It's really confusing when all the x rays, bone scans and CAT scans show everything looking good, but basically it can all look good and still not be working right. It's frustrating, but I'm thankful to have a good doctor. As he was looking at my scans he found I also have arthritis in my back and an old rib injury. I don't remember ever hurting my rib, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. After my appointment we went to the Outlet Mall to shop with Spencer's money at the Reebok store. That is always fun but so tiring walking around trying to find sizes and colors. I was able to get some nice shoes for Rich and my Dad and some really cozy socks for me and my Mom. It's basically all workout clothes and a few jerseys and shirts, but not much Bronco stuff. Anyway, it really helps the girls get new shoes for all the kiddos. Today is Veteran's Day and I am so thankful for all those who are in the military and keep us safe. I had two uncles and a brother-in-law who were in the Air Force. One uncle was killed in a plane crash up by Flagstaff. The other did two tours as a navigator of B 52 bombers flying over Vietnam. Another uncle was in the army. I also have a cousin who served as a Special Op in the Marines who was airlifted into Afghanistan after 9-11. These guys are heroes to me and I hope they know how much I look up to them and appreciate their service.

No comments: