Saturday, November 19, 2011

Mom's 82 Now

Yesterday was my Moms 82nd birthday. We were trying to find a time to celebrate with everyone but because of some conflicts my sister and I decided to just go to Scottsdale and take her to lunch. Well, actually my Dad ended up treating us to Mexican food at Los Olivas. Talk about going back in time, that is what it's like to go back to downtown Scottsdale for me. I grew up in Scottsdale but left in the 70's to go to college and then get married. As we left the restaurant I noticed that we were right across from the hospital. As I walked across the street there was the Piper Cancer Center. I told my sister, "I hope I never have to go there." Then a little bit farther down there was the Stroke Center and next to it the words TRAUMA caught my eye. My mind went back to the day Kamber passed away and what trauma really means to each of us. After visiting with our parents and having a sliver of pie Mell had brought, we left their humble home and started back to Gilbert. As we got down to McDowell street I told my sister how different our family is now. We used to be able to take Mom out for dinner with all the siblings and have such a nice time. Now with Lennie serving as a Mission President and my other brother getting divorced, we have to go it alone. My sister even said, "we've really lost both of our brothers." It just isn't the same anymore, but I guess that's what life is all about, doing the best you can with what you have to work with. Mell and I have talked about this before, we are so lucky to have both of our parents still with us and that they are in as good of shape as can be expected in their 80's. They still live alone and take care of each other, even with the little health problems each of them have. My Dad talks about how he wants to live at least until my brother gets home from his mission, I hope it's a lot longer than that. This Thanksgiving will be another one where we will have all the family at our house but things have definately changed. We will have some dear members not with us, but life goes on and we will keep trying to do the best we can.


No comments: