Tuesday, July 19, 2016

My Summer Hermit Self

I had a friend come over the other day and she looked terrible. She looked washed out and tired. When I asked her what was wrong she simply said, "I hate the summer! I feel like a hermit and I hate to go anywhere." How many of us who live in the desert feel like this? I bet almost everyone. When I complain, my Mom keeps reminding me about how nice it is in the winter and thinks that will make me feel better. Last summer I spent almost three weeks in Montana, what a beautiful place to live. I did my best to fight off the homesickness but when I left I knew I wouldn't be going back there anytime soon. It's a long way from home. I am amazed at the people around us that just load up their families and leave for a few weeks. What would it be like to have a job where you actually could afford to leave for that long, and miss work. I have thought of going up to the cabin but when you have animals and a pool and ponds with fish, it's really hard to get away for even a couple of days, let alone a week or month. Every year I go through the same emotions, just wishing it would end and I found myself wondering if we were at least half way through the hot months yet. Oh well, I seem to survive it each summer and this one won't be any different except maybe we will break a record for the most days over 110 degrees. I know I've become a hermit too, just like my friend.

No comments: