Wednesday, January 13, 2016

"Rats in the Cellar of My Mind"

It felt good to get most of the Christmas put away and my house almost back to where it was before the holidays. I had made some really good resolutions to work on in the new year. I'm sad to say that after only thirteen days I find myself in the same place I was last year at this time. In nine days it will be the first anniversary of my Dad's death. I always think a lot about him in January because it was his birthday month. He loved to golf and the Phoenix Open was always held in January. So when he was younger and felt better, he would go watch the tournament. My brothers would give him new golf balls and I would give him a shirt. Since he's passed away Mom hasn't had the energy or desire to go through his things and give them away. Grief is an interesting thing to go through, but I know I will see him again and it will be a sweet reunion. In church on Sunday there was a good talk given on being kind when people do things that are annoying. Why is that so hard to do for some of us? There was a quote given by C.S. Lewis which said "When we begin to try to be like Christ, we begin to notice, besides our particular sinful acts, our sinfulness; begin to be alarmed not only about what we do, but about what we are." Then he goes on to talk about rats in the cellar of our minds. It was a really good story and makes me want to read some more of his writings. Life will get better, it always does, it never stays the same thank heavens.

No comments: