Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Trulie's Blessing and Water Turtle Rescue


We finally had Trulie's baby blessing on Sunday. Dave did a nice job and it was fun having all my kids and grand kids there. With Dave's family from Willcox, we took up about five long rows in the back of the church. When you get that much family together it's hard being reverent, but we got through it. We also had two returned missionaries speak, so there were people sitting all the way back to the Primary room. We spent a lot of last week getting all the food ready and preparing but it never seems like we are ready for a crowd like that. Feeding sixty hungry people gets harder the older I get. On Sat. I started having a really sore throat and a cough, I'm just hoping it isn't strep. I have too much to do to be sick. This morning we got three hours of irrigation. We never know how much water we'll get. Sometimes it just barely gets up to the front of our property and then other times we are flooded out within the first hour. I have a little area between our two houses where I have two ponds full of water turtles and fish. As I walked down to Mindi's to take some of her stuff to give her I saw that the water kind of got away from us. The whole area was under water and the turtles and fish were swimming all over the ground. As I looked harder I could see some little green things floating. I called Mindi out and she went on a turtle rescue finding nineteen babies. Mindi said, "what in the heck are we going to do with all these turtles?" I started my little "turtle operation" by rescuing a female from a girl in my ward about ten years ago. I eventually had Rich build me a pond because a baby pool wasn't working so well with the dogs. Then anytime someone didn't want their turtle, it ended up in my pond. I think at last count I have nine adult red eared sliders and now twenty-one hatchlings. We have also had about twenty baby chicks hatched in the last two weeks and I'm still trying to find someone to take my fifteen roosters. I don't know why people don't want roosters, it's so fun when they start crowing at 4:00 a.m. ha ha! Anyway, I'm glad last week is over and hopefully I can get my house back together and work on a couple of quilts. As I was sitting in church listening to Dave give Trulie her blessing I wondered what it was like when I was blessed. I leaned over and asked my sister if we had any grandparents or great grandparents at our blessings. She didn't have an answer but Trulie had two grandmas and one grandpa and a set if great grandparents, not to mention all the aunts, uncles and cousins. Hopefully some day she will appreciate all those who love her and were there to see her given a name and a blessing.

No comments: